Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes

Hey Y'all and Happy Tuesday! I hope you all had an amazing Thanksgiving! Ours was small, yet delicious. It was one of those times where lots of people were planning on coming, but they all cancelled at the last minute. No worries for me though, that just meant more mashed potatoes and dessert for baby and me :)

Speaking of baby...we found out this weekend we're having a GIRL!! A beautiful, precious, tiny itty bitty little girl! I was actually not surprised when we found out, because my mother's intuition has been telling me for weeks she was a lady. We had a test done that was early detection for Downs and within the test, the gender was automatically revealed (results came back with no problems :)

We asked our doctor to keep it a secret and write down the gender and seal it in an envelope we would come pick up. We decided to have a baker make a cake with the color of the icing inside telling us the gender (pink meant girl, blue meant boy). Then we got all our parents and siblings together and cut the cake with everyone around. We had absolutely no idea what she was really going to be. I mean of course I had my feeling, but we didn't officially know anything. When we cut into the cake, we saw pink icing everywhere and everyone started cheering. It was an amazing moment! I totally wanted to cheat and look, but am so glad we waited. It's a day I'll never forget :)

So recently I was having a prego craving for something chocolate and something vanilla. I couldn't stop thinking about these vanilla cupcakes I made a while back, and I had just made chocolate cupcakes for our Halloween party, so I decided to put them together and made me and the baby girl Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes:
They were delicious! I made each batter separate and poured a bit of each into the cupcake pan:
Then I swirled the two together:
They baked up wonderfully! The mini ones shown above were perfect to just pop in when my sweet tooth was calling. I also made some big ones and decided to add on some cream cheese frosting I had leftover from another recipe. 
Both ways were terrific!

Ingredients:
Chocolate Cupcakes
1/2 cup butter
2 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate
1/2 cup cocoa powder 
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk

Vanilla Cupcakes
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 Cups sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 Cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 Cup milk


Directions:

Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 375.

Chocolate Cupcakes
Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, mix the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until combined. Set aside. 
In your mixer whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the cooled butter/chocolate and whisk until smooth again. 
Add half of the dry mixture, then half of the buttermilk. Repeat until everything is added. So stir in a little of the dry mix, then a little of the milk, then dry, then milk, so on and so on until it's all mixed in
Stir until just combined, but be sure not to over mix. The batter will have a pudding consistency.
Pour the batter into a big bowl and set aside.
Vanilla Cupcakes
Clean out your mixer bowl and whip the butter on medium speed until smooth.

Pour in the sugar and beat well.

Add in the eggs and vanilla and stir until fully combined.

In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. 

Alternately stir in the milk and dry ingredients like you did before until everything is mixed.
Spoon in some of each batter into the cupcake cups until about half full. Using a toothpick or spoon handle, swirl the two together.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. If you want to add the cream cheese frosting here's that recipe.
Frosting:
2 (8oz) Bricks cream cheese, softened
1 Stick butter, softened
2 Cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

In your mixer combine the cream cheese and butter on high using a whisk for about 5 minutes, or until smooth. Turn the speed down to low and add in the powdered sugar. 

Once it's all in, turn up the speed until fully mixed and smooth again. Spoon into a piping bag and swirl it on.
I know this seems like a lot for a little craving, but tell that to my baby girl! When I get something in my head that I want it's all I think about until I get it. Yes there were a few more steps than most recipes, but in the end it was totally worth it. She's not even here yet and I'll already do anything for her :)
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment