Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Perfect Tailgating Chex Mix

Hello and Happy Tuesday to ya! Hope your week is off to a fantastic start. Ours is going great! Just got back from meeting with my Dr for the first time since this little munchkin made it's debut. It was so nice to hug her and talk with her and ask all my random crazy questions I've been racking up the past few weeks.

I decided I wanted to keep a journal throughout this period in my life. I probably won't do this with all my future babies, but this is my first baby. My only baby right now. And I want to remember everything! It's already been fun flipping through and seeing how I've been feeling as I've gone through this pregnancy. 

One thing I love to see are the things I crave at one time or another. Like for tonight, all I want for dinner is homemade Alfredo pasta with broccoli (not chicken!) and breakfast pork sausage patties. Why does that sound good to me? I have no idea. Ask my belly :)

Probably the biggest thing I've been craving is salt. I'm practically salting my salt right now. I taught Zumba this morning, and as a treat I got myself some french fries from McDonald's (which I NEVER eat fast food), and I ended up putting more salt on those when I got home! What is wrong with me?!

Don't worry, I'm eating tons of fruit, dairy, nuts, granola and drinking tons of water. This baby isn't just floating around in salt. And I'm exercising everyday. I know I'll have to knock it off sooner or later because my feet will start to swell, but until then I'm indulging. 

And since I'm still downing the grainy good stuff, I decided to make something salty this past weekend for IU's Homecoming football game. Go Hoosiers! We got our butts whooped. I ended up making what I think is The Perfect Tailgating Chex Mix!
It's quick, easy, no-bake, delicious, and super easy to transport around the "red lot" tailgating fields. My fellow IU'ers know what I'm talking about. ;)
All it takes is a few cups of this, a few cups of that, some melted butter and seasonings, a couple minutes in the microwave and POOF! A delicious tailgating treat the whole group will love. 
As my husband put it: "This stuff is like crack honey!" I know he doesn't really know what crack is like, but that's my way of knowing it's so good, it's addictive! And plenty of salt for the momma-to-be!
Ingredients:
3 Cups Corn Chex
3 Cups Rice Chex
3 Cups Wheat Chex (or 9 cups of one kind if you don't want to buy all the cereals)
2 1/2 Cups cheez its
2 Cups mini pretzel twists
4 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Package ranch seasoning mix (1 oz)
1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic salt

Directions:
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a large bowl mix together the three cereals, the cheez its and the pretzels.

Melt the butter in a small bowl and pour over the cereal mix. Stir until there's a good coating on all of it. 

Sprinkle in the ranch dressing, cheese and garlic salt and stir until everything is evenly coated. Make sure you get your mixing spoon down to the bottom to bring up the cheese and seasoning. Or if your bowl has a lid, put it on and turn the bowl upside down a few times. 

Microwave the cereal mix (uncovered) for 3 minutes, stirring after each minute. Spread onto the baking sheet and let cool. 

Pour the mix into large storage bags for easy transportation at your next tailgate, or keep it in your big bowl if serving at your next football party.

Enjoy! Go IU!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment